The Hotel

Welcome to the Peacock. Our beer is cold, our smiles are wide and our passion and knowledge for all things food and drink is what makes us Northcote’s favourite local pub. Whether it’s after work drinks, a cheeky mid-week lunch, Saturday afternoon watching the footy, or lazing about in the beer garden on a sunny Sunday, the Peacock is the place for any occasion.

The Peacock was built in 1854 by Horace and Edwin Bastings. The following year they sold it to a 21 year old chap by the name of George Plant. Holding the license until his death in 1895, Plant was to become synonymous with the Peacock.  His widow, Catherine,  took over the hotel license after his passing until 1910.

The Peacock’s most recent incarnation has been overseen by publican Rick Gilbert. Since purchasing the lease in 2005, the Peacock has undergone a transformation like never before. Additions include an out-cider bar in the courtyard, a fully heated and weather-proof pavilion, and the outdoor cooling and heating systems. Not to mention the constant upgrades in furniture and fittings that the venue receives regularly, including multiple HDTV screens and a full HD projector, pinball machines and well maintained pool tables.

The Peacock is a Northcote institution, the way a pub should be; cold beer, warm atmosphere and service with a smile.

Location

We are located on the corner of High St and Bastings St (melways 30 F9).

Public Transport

The 86 tram to Bundoora stops right outside (stop 31) and the Epping line train stops at Merri Station, just a 10 minute walk away.